Tuesday, April 8, 2014

New Book Covers!

Hi, All!
     My publisher has recently provided me with "mock-up" designs for the front covers of *both* books that will be released this coming fall.  I'm incredibly happy with both covers, but I'd like to hear what others think of them.  Do they capture your attention?  Do you like the colors used?  The designs/layouts?  I'd appreciate it if you could jot me a quick note and let me know your opinions about these -- and any other areas related to the covers.

***Cover #1:   This is the mock-up for the main book:  Ain't No Harm to Kill the Devil: The Life and Legend of John Fairfield, Abolitionist for Hire.
     Please examine it, and then, if you have the time, please let me know your thoughts about it.
     NOTE: There is a special story behind the "Wanted Poster" on the cover.  John Fairfield was wanted "Dead or Alive" because of his work helping slaves to their freedom.  Therefore, he did *not* want his image captured in pictures, for the obvious reasons.  Photography was still relatively new when Fairfield was doing most of his work for the cause, and he managed to avoid all cameras, which was wise given his situation.  However, I wanted to know what he looked like.  While doing research for the book I was able to uncover ample written, physical descriptions of Fairfield, and the Wanted Poster represents a blend of these accounts.  There is MUCH more to the story of how this particular Wanted Poster came about, and it is detailed in the "companion e-book" (see below).

***Cover #2:  This is the mock-up for the "companion e-book," which is titled:  Finding Fairfield: The Behind-the-Scenes Story of Ain't No Harm to Kill the Devil: The Life and Legend of John Fairfield, Abolitionist for Hire.
    NOTE: This cover was designed by Maryana Britt, an incredibly talented and gifted artist/illustrator; we were SO lucky to have her help with this project.  This "companion e-book" was so much fun to write.  Basically, it tells of my adventures while doing the travel and conducting the background research needed to write the main book.  It is part travelogue -- and also a "behind the curtain" look at what a writer of nonfiction must do to in order to capture the essence of the story and characters involved.
     Again, if you have the time, please let me know what your impressions are of this cover.

    Thank you for examining these covers.  I really do appreciate it.  And, finally, don't forget:  Both books are now scheduled for release in the fall.
JSC

No comments:

Post a Comment